I finished reading "The Lincoln Lawyer" by Michael Connelly last night and here are my thoughts about the book...
I equate reading Michael Connelly's novel "The Lincoln Lawyer" to eating McDonalds; it is geared for the masses, not great for you, but satisfying in that "know what to expect" and "good for what it is" kind of way. The story borrows a little bit from every kind of male-centered story:
- Motivated, success driven male lead (with "cool" career like doctor, lawyer, or journalist)
- Loyal friend that helps the lead and pays the price for the lead's arrogance, which just helps the lead focus on success
- The women in the lead's life love him, even though they leave him, but still take care of him and want to get back with him
- Unbelievable, evil enemy to overcome
- Crazy fight and/or car chase (yes, in a book about a fucking lawyer)
While I am poking fun at the book, I read it all the way through and I wanted to know what happens next. This is the perfect read if you are stuck on a plane for 5 hours. You will knock it out, enjoy it, and never think about it again.
Saying all of this, look who they got to play the lead in the movie version...